Read the Joe Chaney Case (Page 363-364), and respond to the questions below
using the information & concepts from the text.
1) Explain how the 4 factors model of motivation
Satisfaction) applies to Joe’s situation. (See page 331- 333 & Table 6.1 &
6.2) Give specific examples from the case that support your conclusion.
2) Using the Performance Diagnosis Model (figure 6.7) on page 362
determine the cause
of Joe’s performance problems.
Assume that the answer to step # 1 in the model is YES…..Joe and his
boss both agree
that his performance needs to improve. Support your conclusions with
3) Based on your conclusions in question # 2,
Briefly explain how the nine steps and three strategies – reprimand, redirect,
reinforce (Table 6.5 341-342 could be used to reshape Joe’s behavior? Include
answers to the following in your explanation:
– What rewards might be most salient to Joe? Are they intrinsic or extrinsic or
some combination of the two?
– How could Joe’s work be redesigned so that he is more motivated?
4) Beyond Joe’s attitude and performance, are their other management
issues at this
architectural firm that need to be fixed? Briefly describe.