This is for you to upload the first draft of your essay. This assignment will be worth 50 points, and will be graded using the rubric posted as if it were your final submission so that you can fine tune your final submission. Your TA and Instructor will provide feedback and comments on your essay within 2-3 business days of your submission.
Your essay needs to meet the following criteria.
- At least 1500 words in length. This word count does not count your Works Cited section.
- At least four (4) sources that do not include Wikipedia. These sources must be cited in your essay using appropriate in-text citations. You may use whatever citation style is comfortable for you (MLA, APA, Chicago Style, ACS, etc.). The key here is to cite your information and provide sources.
- Wikipedia is a wonderful resource to start your research. When preparing a research paper, I generally start with Wikipedia and then refer to the sources listed there for direct referencing.
- You may NOT cite, personal websites or blogs, or unsubstantiated newspaper claims.
- Plagiarism will be evaluated using TurnItIn. You will have access to your Similarity Report immediately after submission. If your Similarity Report is more than 20%, you will automatically receive a grade of zero for this assignment and it will be investigated for Academic Integrity violations.
- If uploading a document, it must be a DOCX, DOC, or PDF file. (Canvas and TurnItin do not support PAGES documents or GoogleDocs.)
- You are allowed to copy your essay directly in to Canvas as direct text.
- All answers to the Starting Point Questionnaire need to be answered in your essay.
Your score will be broken down as follows.
- 32 points based on attached rubric.
- The rubric score will be multiplied by 2.
- 10 points for meeting the 1500 word count minimum.
- 5 points for having at least four unique sources with proper in-text citations.
- 3 points for submitting the essay.
Core CommunicationCore CommunicationCriteriaRatingsPts This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeContent DevelopmentProvides a structure for assessing content development.threshold: 3.0 pts4 ptsAdvanced: Thorough development of content3 ptsProficient: Adequate development of content2 ptsDeveloping: Partial development of content1 ptsBeginning: Minimal development of content0 ptsNot Applicable: Did not complete or no attempt4 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeCorrectnessProvides a structure for assessing the application of the rules of standard English.threshold: 3.0 pts4 ptsAdvanced: Mastery application of the rules of standard English3 ptsProficient: Above average application of the rules of standard English2 ptsDeveloping: Acceptable application of the rules of standard English1 ptsBeginning: Minimal application of the rules of standard English0 ptsNot Applicable: Did not complete or no attempt4 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeOrganization/StructureProvides a structure for assessing organizational patterns.threshold: 3.0 pts4 ptsAdvanced: Skillful implementation of an organizational pattern enhances the content’s cohesion3 ptsProficient: Organizational pattern makes the content mostly cohesive2 ptsDeveloping: Organizational pattern, in spite of interruptions, contributes to cohesion1 ptsBeginning: Organizational pattern is intermittently observable and results in minimal cohesion0 ptsNot Applicable: Did not complete or no attempt4 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeStatement of PurposeProvides a structure for assessing the ability to present a main idea. threshold: 3.0 pts4 ptsAdvanced: Presents a sophisticated central idea3 ptsProficient: Presents a central idea2 ptsDeveloping: Attempt to present a central idea1 ptsBeginning: Minimal attempt to present a central idea0 ptsNot Applicable: Did not complete or no attempt4 pts
Total Points: 16PreviousNext