We will discuss how to research the independent article you will use for Essay 3, the Pandemic Essay.
Essay #3: Pandemic
The purpose of this second major essay is to synthesize information and narrative about two different pandemics, one hundred years apart, into one analysis of what these two pandemics have in common.
To do this, you will use the following:
- Katherine Anne Porter’s “Pale Horse, Pale Rider”
- One source on the 1918 influenza pandemic(choose one):
- Fiona Lowenstein’s article, “My coronavirus survivor group is my most important medical support right now “
- Joe Pinsker’s “How the Pandemic Has Changed Us Already” (.pdf form)
- David Tarrant’s “Lessons from the past: How the deadly second wave of the 1918 ‘Spanish flu’ caught Dallas and the U.S. by surprise” (.pdf
- One reliable source (TRAAP tested (Links to an external site.)) on the current COVID-19 pandemic or the 1918 Influenza pandemic, which includes one source you have found on your own.
The structure of your paper should follow standard, rhetorical formula. In other words, you need an introduction which includes the thesis of your paper (in complex sentence form, your thesis will state the specific conclusion you reached about the similarities in the stories from these two pandemics), the body of your paper which supports your thesis (and which contains quotes from the story as well as other sources for support), and a conclusion to wrap up your ideas.
Specific criteria of this paper:
- A clear, cogent thesis and well-developed body paragraphs that support that thesis
- Paper should be typed in APA format with a References page
- This paper should be about four pages in length
- Your paper should include well-selected quotes from the sources you reference.
- On your References page, there must at least three entries:
- Story citation
- One article we read for class
- One source found from independent research
Perspectives EssayPerspectives EssayCriteriaRatingsPtsThis criterion is linked to a learning outcomeIntroduction sets up the essay topic, includes a specific and debatable thesis statement, and a compelling conclusion.15 pts
This criterion is linked to a learning outcomeEssay thoroughly examines how various perspectives shed insight into this news event.25 pts
This criterion is linked to a learning outcomeEssay is typed in APA format, with a well-written abstract, essay itself is 4 pages in length, and cited correctly in-text and on the References page.20 pts
This criterion is linked to a learning outcomeEssay is grammatically and mechanically correct, typed in academic voice with no personal pronoun references.25 pts
This criterion is linked to a learning outcomeEssay correctly and adequately includes embedded quotations to support observations. Essay includes signal phrases and follows through on quotations.Essay is typed in formal, academic voice and tone with no personal pronoun references.15 pts
1. How to use the MVC databases (Links to an external site.). Here is a PowerPoint presentation (Links to an external site.) on how to do this.
2. If you would prefer to use an article on the internet rather than one from the database, check the article (Links to an external site.) for accuracy.
3. Know that MVC provides numerous resources on APA-style citation (Links to an external site.) (click on the tabs at the top for help with specific areas).
Add your article citation, which you found today, to your References page that you created for your APA template on Tuesday. Upload your updated APA template, with your now complete References page with your article citation in correct APA style, here.